Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

HSI Lateral Hiring.

BIG has had a couple people reach out to him about upcoming HSI hiring.

So, let BIG say this. Direct hire authority has been given back to the SAC offices. From what BIG has been told we are seeking specialized skill sets, accountants, etc, etc. To nutshell it, HSI will begin lateral hiring again and it seems SAC offices pick lateral hires directly for their offices.

Now the big question on everyone's minds; when, at what grade and how many? BIG would assume the grade would be at a 12, as long as you were a 12 for a year prior to being hired. When and how many, BIG has not a clue.

Regarding the hows, BIG suggests reaching out to any HSI contacts you have for their local recruiters contact info for now. They may have more info, than the limited info, BIG has posted above.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

is HSI seeking specialized skill sets for the last general VA as well?

Haven't heard anything specifically regarding VA hires.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

I've heard the same, that our SAC's have direct hire authority again. I've heard the specialized skill being sought the heaviest is cyber investigations experience and/or IT and network security background. Almost all crime is online these days.

So with direct hire authority are the SACs going to announce through office recruiters? Will there not be a traditional USA Jobs announcement you think? In that case should those with lateral qualifications reach out directly to SAC recruiters? I wonder if they're not doing any standard 5-7 or 7-9 announcement at all on USAJobs?

HSI was approved for direct hire authority by OPM, which will make it easier for them to recruit for critical skills like cyber, language, and such. The plan for implementing this has not been finalized, but it is unlikely to be "SAC hiring" in the sense selections were made by each office to fill their own local vacancies in years gone by and more likely to be targeted for hard to staff locations. While it's good for the agency and should help bring hiring more in line with their staffing needs, and more in line with other alphabet soup agencies that already have direct hire authority in one form or another, I would not read too much into it until they have a hiring plan inane guidance in place for recruiters and field offices.

In other equally important news, HSI has officially finalized physical fitness testing standards and all HSISAT students must pass it in order to graduate. My understanding from academy instructor friends is that this takes effect this month. There is no change for age or gender. Same for all students.

1.5 mile run @ 14:25 or under
    1 minute sit-ups @ 32 minimum
    1 minute push-ups @ 22 minimum
    220 yard sprint @ sub 45 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by nsedet View Post
    HSI was approved for direct hire authority by OPM, which will make it easier for them to recruit for critical skills like cyber, language, and such. The plan for implementing this has not been finalized, but it is unlikely to be "SAC hiring" in the sense selections were made by each office to fill their own local vacancies in years gone by and more likely to be targeted for hard to staff locations. While it's good for the agency and should help bring hiring more in line with their staffing needs, and more in line with other alphabet soup agencies that already have direct hire authority in one form or another, I would not read too much into it until they have a hiring plan inane guidance in place for recruiters and field offices.
    So does this mean more that SACs will have more ability to decide who to hire after the creation of an announcement and the candidates get their way? Just trying to better understand this

Quote Originally Posted by OIG27 View Post
    the candidates get their way?
    Not understanding?

I mean after the candidates clear through the announcements, the SACs get the opportunity to have more say in who is selected?

Quote Originally Posted by OIG27 View Post
    So does this mean more that SACs will have more ability to decide who to hire after the creation of an announcement and the candidates get their way? Just trying to better understand this
    It's more likely to mean the SACs will have more say at the front end, that is identifying and recommending candidates who will move forward into the hiring process. In other words, the agency identifies its hiring priorities and field offices can identify candidates who fit that criteria. This would allow for more focused recruiting to address critical needs like cyber, language, whatever. But still a lot of questions on this until the agency has its policy in place and guidance to the field.