Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Traveller View Post
    I punched out almost three years ago, although I miss some of the people, I was happy to not be on the 7th floor when the debacle with the Director took place. . .

As for what I did to prepare. . .I made sure my benefits were in order, I talked with the Retirement office, ALOT, but still rolled my eyes when they acted like I was the first person to EVER retire. . .You will know what I mean when the time comes.

I thoroughly scoured the Dan Jamison FERS Retirement Guide. I spent a lot of time figuring out my Sick Leave, as it adds to the retirement, but only in FULL MONTHS, so you need to figure out how sick you need to be in the last few months so that you don't give the G back a dime in leave. . Keep in mind, if you owe the Government a dime, they will come after you with a vengeance, but if they owe you something, they will forget it. . .

If you are part of FEGLI, think about that, its expensive as sin, consider a separate policy, if you desire life insurance. . .I used SelectQuote, got a great policy, only about a buck a day, and was twice the value for about a 1/4 the cost of FEGLI.. .

Take some time off, I started my new gig right away, but thankfully, I get to work from home, and its on my pace. . save the occasional shaking hands and kissing babies I need to do. . .1-3 months would have been nice. Evaluate what you want to do with your TSP, I left mine in the TSP for about a year, then moved it to a different fund manager. He has consistently outpaced the TSP for the last two years, but there are costs involved, so make sure you know upfront on that...It was a good choice for me.

If you have a good amount of savings, make sure it is available, because it can take awhile for Uncle Skinny to get your annuity straightened up. . so prepare for a few months of a partial, I was lucky, only a few, others I know have been a year. It will take a number of weeks for the A/L check to show up. . so don't count on it to pay bills, if you don't have money in savings. . .most are fine, but I know a SES friend of mine who was a paycheck to paycheck guy. . .he was struggling with out savings, kept asking how I did it. . I told him, we didn't live beyond our means. . .plus my wife makes GOOD money. .

Once you retire, come the 1st of the month, I get my allowance. . .its nice to know it will come for the rest of my life.

You have served your time for God and Country, it is now time for BIG and Family. . .
    Great advice. Thanks.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

Quote Originally Posted by dmclark View Post
    IF you're intending to go into private security work post LE, the CPP is a recognized credential, especially in the corporate world. The Certified Financial Examiner (CFE) does not take an accounting degree to achieve. Most of my guys in corporate security studied the materials and passed first time out. CFE details @ www.acfe.com/cfe-membership.aspx and American Society for Industrial Security (ASIS) and the CPP details at https://www.asisonline.org/Pages/default.aspx
    Thanks for the info and the links.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup

DM, Larry Granelli says hello.

The Answer is There is No Answer

Best to Larry! Small world!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
    Hunter S. Thompson