Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Share Your Thoughts About 6(c)/12(d) Age Maximum Of 45 Years Old

Quote Originally Posted by jayqubed View Post
    ...Yeah, at 60 you wont be flipping tractor tires at xtreme fitness to stay in shape, but I think society will find a place in law enforcement for older employees.
    Is that statement still referring specifically to federal law enforcement service or law enforcement in general?

Maybe one answer could be some sort of phased retirement option.

In a way, a phased retirement is a best-of-all-worlds option. It keeps older, more experienced people around longer, but allows them to back off a full work schedule and work part-time. It also likely brings in young, fresh people sooner, since with a partial retirement option, far more people should elect to phase out sooner in their careers than with a traditional retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    Maybe one answer could be some sort of phased retirement option.

In a way, a phased retirement is a best-of-all-worlds option. It keeps older, more experienced people around longer, but allows them to back off a full work schedule and work part-time. It also likely brings in young, fresh people sooner, since with a partial retirement option, far more people should elect to phase out sooner in their careers than with a traditional retirement.
    That might be nice for employees, something the employer cares nothing about. That's pricey, and they won't get spendy for the benefit of employees.

Quote Originally Posted by jayqubed View Post
    I don't see it as a bad thing, should it come to fruition in the near future. I know that physically over 40 you feel different than you did at 25. The aches linger longer. The energy level is lower. Sleep is more of an asset than ever before. Howevs, I think some of this "ya just too old" at 60 is reminiscent of the 70s and 80s when a lot of people could not believe women could be law enforcement. Sure some still have their doubts, but the vast majority will agree women have proved a valuable asset to public safety. I think the same will play out for older leos. Yeah, at 60 you wont be flipping tractor tires at xtreme fitness to stay in shape, but I think society will find a place in law enforcement for older employees.
    Sex and age are entirely different. There are scientific factors that occur as we age, if a woman in her youth can satisfy the academy standards to get the job she is good to go. Older employees start to feel their limitations which often effects their confidence level, this translates into less capable agent performance. LE has found a place for older agents, they are on the job until 57 and that's not young by LE standards. Age limitations have to be established according to the most demanding LE position because even the most mundane LE position can go bad in a second requiring a a mental and physical response that can overcome an attack.

Lastly, I have no idea why people would want to extend, retire at a reasonable age and go to job number two and make more money than you ever did before.. To me this is a no brainer.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people may not want to go learn a new thing, start as the new guy, etc, in their 50's. Might just want to roll with what they know as long as they can and then hang all of it up for good.

For FYI, based on a recent retirement seminar (sponsored by our agency) and in talking to numerous retired guys, the consensus is "retire as soon as you can, and start a second career and second 401k while you are still marketable". Most of them are retiring completely from workforce age 65 ish

also most are using up sick leave in the last year

just for what its worth...

The San Diego Police and other local agencies have no maximum age. If you can pass the physical you can stay. But the city uses things like the DROP program to entice officers to eventually leave. That deal was the officer would become eligible at 50, agree to stay for a maximum of 5 more years and the city would pay you your regular salary while what would have been your pension is banked in a fund that, at one point, paid 8% interest. Police officers would finally leave DROP 5 years later with hundreds of thousands in that retirement account.

The idea was to keep experienced officer on the job a few more years. The city allowed all employees to participate so librarians could do its as well. It got so expensive they ended it a few years ago. But many in the city believed keeping cops on longer was a good thing. Unfortunately there was no test for who was a good cop versus a drone in joining DROP.
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne in "The Shootist".