Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Competitive Service to Excepted Service back to Competitive Service

Thanks to all of you in advance for helping out with my question. I went from being a non-1811 Fed Leo in the competitive service to an excepted service 1811 position. I did more than three years with my old agency in the competitive service and reached permanent career status which was reflected on my SF-50.

Fast forward today and I am applying to competitive service positions (mostly OIGs) along with (hopefully) USPIS' expedited 1811 process. The problem is my current SF-50 makes no mention of me having permanent career status. I have sent my old SF-50 that notes that I was a permanent career status employee with my applications. I have been referred to a few vacancies but have also gotten the occasional you are not qualified based on being in an excepted service position.

Has anyone ever had an issue with this? Are there any Postal Inspectors on the board? I am trying to see if I qualify for their non-competitive transfer application process.

Thank You!

Technically speaking, you are not applying as a competitive service candidate, you are applying as being reinstatement eligible. You should be eligible for most (maybe all, but I am not certain of that) announcements open to federal employees, but need to make sure you are applying as reinstatement eligible. Usually this involves checking a box somewhere in your application process and noting your prior dates, grade and series from your competitive service time.

Even so, HR interpretations can vary, and it gets very confusing when you are mixing one qualifying criteria (your prior competitive service) and another (your current 1811 grade/experience). USPIS is a different animal altogether.

Your best bet when applying for jobs, aside from making sure you are noting the reinstatement eligibility rather than career status, might be to email the HR point of contact when you apply explaining and confirming your eligibility. That may help avoid issues as they review applications after the automated screening, and it's always easier to fix it before they make a decision than after because of how quickly the process moves.

Thank you for the response. I never thought about it as I am applying for reinstatement. I will definitely take that approach with HR from now on. Thanks again.