Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Fda-oci 1811

Fda-oci 1811

I just got referred to the selecting official on this latest announcement posted in December 2017. Anyone else put in?

Also, anyone have any intel they would like to share about the agency? I did some open source search but most are outdated.

I'm curious about the overall job as an FDA 1811. How much of the work is regulatory? How about travel, LEAP, G-rides etc? How about pay matching? Would they match my 13 pay or would I have to start off at a lower grade?

I'm an HSI 1811 looking to move back east. I have 12 to mandatory but 5 to eligibility.

Thanks for all the replies!

-D
    USBP now ICE 1811

Hey D,

FDA OCI does not perform a regulatory function. Consumer Safety Officers (CSOs) perform the regulatory function for the FDA, and their regulatory authority is pretty powerful, which is why you will learn if you go to work there, they try to draw a clear line between OCI and big FDA to avoid 4th amendment conflicts. As I alluded to in the previous sentence, OCI is a small group within a big organization, and big FDA doesn't let OCI forget that. Haha. As an OCI 1811, you would perform criminal investigations that relate to FDA regulated products (something to the effect of a quarter of every dollar spent in the US are on FDA regulated products).

I can't speak for all offices, but in my experience the great thing about OCI is that there is as much travel as your cases take you. If you need to travel for your case, then you can travel. If your cases all keep you in district, then you will stay in district other than TDYs for assisting in ops and FLETC training. They do not tend to have funding problems that other agencies have because of the way the industry FDA regulates is forced to fund big FDA through fees and such. As a result, you are generally not restricted in your travel budget for cases. One plus (depending on your perspective) is that you will no longer have to travel to work the UNGA for the USSS.

Agents receive LEAP, drive take-home GOVs, and are authorized to carry firearms on and off duty. In terms of pay matching, it depends on the announcement. If the announcement was listed as a 13, I would expect you to get hired as a 13. OCI prefers to hire experienced agents rather than new 1811s, and I have never seen anyone not directly lateral over at their current pay grade.

Good luck!

-Dork

Dork,

PM sent your way.

Thanks.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean

DallasTX,

Did you get any traction on this?

If you have a minute, can you please shoot me a PM?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasTX View Post
    I just got referred to the selecting official on this latest announcement posted in December 2017. Anyone else put in?

Also, anyone have any intel they would like to share about the agency? I did some open source search but most are outdated.

I'm curious about the overall job as an FDA 1811. How much of the work is regulatory? How about travel, LEAP, G-rides etc? How about pay matching? Would they match my 13 pay or would I have to start off at a lower grade?

I'm an HSI 1811 looking to move back east. I have 12 to mandatory but 5 to eligibility.

Thanks for all the replies!

-D
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." - James Dean