Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

DEA Posting for current feds

Does anybody have info on this? Specifically, will you know your duty assignment prior to the academy? I am wondering how this works for a lateral-type announcement and if it is different from the traditional DEA process. With the question asking about current job series and security clearance level, I am betting that this is an expedited process.

At no point in history has an applicant known a duty assignment PRIOR to the Academy. It was "known" that a New Jersey applicant could probably get NYC office (historically new hires do NOT return to "office of hire" or "office they processed thru"). Same goes for a San Diego applicant, they "could most likely" get Los Angeles office. But besides that kind of stuff, nobody knows anything PRIOR to the academy. Above situations are not guarantees either....

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496323400

Upon graduation from the DEA Academy, you must be available to transfer to one of the 22 DEA's Division offices, including San Juan, PR. You will be required to sign a mobility agreement, which ensures that you agree to remain available for transfer, either for permanent or temporary assignment, to meet the operational needs of the DEA. Special Agents rarely return to their processing office. Applicants should ensure that their families are prepared for and support any assignment location.

Thanks. I did not see the section you quoted. Based on that info, I will be passing on this one. We all sign mobility agreements, but in my opinion, the pay cut and unknown locations are not worth making the switch. Best of luck to those who apply.