Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: USSS to HSI

USSS to HSI

Hey all,

Has anyone done (or “know a guy”) transfer from USSS as an 1811 to HSI? I’m curious to know what the process looks like. I know there are several who jump ship from USSS to HSI for various reasons, so any insight or experience as to what your reasons were for doing so would be appreciated. Since they are both under DHS and both Special Agent positions, would the Top Secret security clearance, BI, and Medical all transfer (assuming they’re all up to date)?

Quote Originally Posted by jtc View Post
    Hey all,

Has anyone done (or “know a guy”) transfer from USSS as an 1811 to HSI? I’m curious to know what the process looks like. I know there are several who jump ship from USSS to HSI for various reasons, so any insight or experience as to what your reasons were for doing so would be appreciated. Since they are both under DHS and both Special Agent positions, would the Top Secret security clearance, BI, and Medical all transfer (assuming they’re all up to date)?
    USSS has transferred to just about every 1811 agency on the face of the earth. Your HR section will be able to explain more about transferring everything over. I think it is called "Transfer to another Component" or similar memo we used to do when INS existed (part of DOJ) and we went FBI/DEA. Whatever you do, do not resign from USSS.

Thanks satpak, I will absolutely not resign. Any idea what the average timeline would look like as far as processing the transfer goes? I’m sure it varies on a multitude of moving parts (HR/HQ/etc) but would one expect to fly quicker through the hiring steps as a current 1811 or would you basically have the same priority level as any other applicants?

Thanks satpak, I will absolutely not resign. Any idea what the average timeline would look like as far as processing the transfer goes? I’m sure it varies on a multitude of moving parts (HR/HQ/etc) but would one expect to fly quicker through the hiring steps as a current 1811 or would you basically have the same priority level as any other applicants?
    1. need to pass interview at another place
    2. processing MAY be faster but not much. couple months maybe
    3. you cant contol #2
    4. focus on #1

* keep nose clean and USSS bosses happy. need good rec etc as you leave them

Hey all,

In recent years, being the last 10 or so, HSI has hired a number of laterals from USSS to HSI. You name the agency and we'll have a former member somewhere within our ranks. But this isn't something unique to HSI. You'll find plenty of HSI alumni floating around other agencies, both big and small.

As satpak77 has said, do not resign. When BIG departed his two prior agencies, he did a memo stating he was transferring his services from Dept. A and Agency A to Dept. B and Agency B, as of this specific time on this specific date. It's more so as to avoid a break in service between agencies for leave and other purposes.

Agains as has been stated by satpak77, if hired by USSS, be the best USSS SA you can be. There's a lot of connections between the two and if you have a rep as a shitbird in USSS it won't be hard for that rep to proceed you to any hiring process. BIG would also advise don't apply to any agency unless you have an actual interest in what it is they do. You don't want to be miserable doing the job you wet through a couple of years process to obtain, just because you wanted to get on quick, all the while hoping and waiting on another agency.
    It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both. - Niccolo Machiavelli

Most people respect the badge, everybody respects the gun.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. - Colonel Jessup