Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishGrunt View Post
    “Cyber certs to get are the CISSP. The is the defacto gold standard. One "level down" would be the Security A+.“

What are the recommended sources for Security A+ and CISSP Training/cert?
    https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/...2AADB185C.ashx

"Must have experience in two of the 8 domains". For 95% of the 1811s, this will be 1) Security and Risk Management and 7) Security Operations

a variety of "boot camps" exist but the cheapest options are "prep courses" at the local college. It may take some digging around on internet. One example of an offering at a local college: https://www.collin.edu/ce/courses/cissp.html

There is a little known, FREE online course training, operated by DHS, at https://fedvte.usalearning.gov/

You need to register but it is fairly painless. your 1811 status and .GOV email will qualify you

Good Luck

Thanks. Any recommended route for Security A+? Searches for that yield what appears to be a lot of chaff covering the wheat.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGrunt View Post
    Thanks. Any recommended route for Security A+? Searches for that yield what appears to be a lot of chaff covering the wheat.
    ** I hold neither cert *** (Disclaimer)

I was however advised by those in the field to just skip A+ and get the CISSP. A+ is for someone with less than 5 years in one of the domains, for example, a college grad. For most of the 1811's, they can just do CISSP

Good scoop. Thanks. I was thinking of the A+ as a way to see if it was truly interesting before diving deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by satpak77 View Post
    and now they are 57, 58 year old "senior citizens" (no disrespect) doing backgrounds on contract workers at the local military base.
    I'm one of those who does BI's on an OPM contractor, but my difference is that I incurred a LOD injury which led to an OPM disability annuity. Forty percent of your last 52 weeks salary, taxable, is nothing one can live on for the next 20 plus years......anyway, getting back to doing BI's:
    DON'T DO IT!!!
    It's not investigating in the same sense as criminal investigations. You ask a bunch of boilerplate questions and you ask why someone reported their cell phone number as their home number. You ask other deep, probing questions about their SF-86, with answers generally being "I didn't understand the question." And those answers come from people with JD's and PhD's. The SF-86 is probably one of the most screwed up forms in the G. You just push cases through; OPM collects information pretty much just for the sale of collecting information to show Congress that OPM/NBIB is doing something. And then some of the contract companies go beyond that, getting more useless information just to show OPM that they're getting additional (and useless) information. You will quickly become frustrated with doing the BI work. You will also find your work being reviewed by some 24 year old who thinks their work will fast track them to the FBI BAU; their careers choice when they graduated from Penn State with a BS in CJ was doing BI reviews or working as a customer service rep at Enterprise Rent a Car. Driving for Uber is probably a better option than doing BI work.
    ESFLEA
    Life is what happens while you're planning other things.