Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

OIG caseload question

Hello all,

Without going in too much detail, I interviewed for a small IG (non 1811/non gun toter) and asked what the avg caseload was and its about 20-30 annually. That seems on the low side, i know IGs also work on program specific inspections but for those who work in IGs, whats an avg number of cases you work and does 20-30 annually seem about avg compared to the norm? I know it varies based on several factors but trying to get a rough idea. Thanks-
    "A wise man knows everything, a shrewd man knows everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1068 View Post
    Hello all,

Without going in too much detail, I interviewed for a small IG (non 1811/non gun toter) and asked what the avg caseload was and its about 20-30 annually. That seems on the low side, i know IGs also work on program specific inspections but for those who work in IGs, whats an avg number of cases you work and does 20-30 annually seem about avg compared to the norm? I know it varies based on several factors but trying to get a rough idea. Thanks-
    Is that number comprised of mostly non-complex employee cases or quick close scam cases? That number seems very high for any cases with complexity. Carrying 8-14 at different stages of completeness (some more, some less) is what carry .

Appreciate the reply, helps put things in perspective, Ill see what develops
    "A wise man knows everything, a shrewd man knows everybody"

Annual caseload does not mean all that much because of the variables involved. Average caseload, or how many open cases an agent carries on any given day, is a better indicator of workload but even that will vary wildly based on the type of cases, complexity, agency priorities, local management, etc. An OIG focusing on major procurement fraud may have a lower average caseload than one that works mostly benefits fraud or employee misconduct, but that does not equate to one agent doing less work than another. Your best agents may have far fewer cases than average because they are working the most complex, highest priority investigations. Conversely least productive agent may have twice as many cases as everyone else simply because that's where management assigns the dead end leads.